Thursday, April 23, 2009

It's Time

It is that time of year, when the birds return from the warmth of the south to nest, feed, and do what birds do. If you know me at all, or have paid attention to my blog, you know I love my humming birds. I wait and watch for them to return to my feeders each spring.

The birds have their migratory patterns, and I have my maps. I have several friends and family who love the birds as well. We call out to each other letting each other know when we have sighted the birds. I know that if my friends to the north have seen them, then I had better get my feeders out. If I see the birds, I call my friends to the south and let them know. Like the birds, we look out for each other. It’s the way it should be.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How interesting that you mentioned this.

I will be working the International Migratory Bird Days at the zoo again this year in a few weeks.

As part of my animal handling duties, I volunteered for the Bird show/ Cat show. Well, after all, they do need someone to stand there for the birds to land on!

And I am already scratched up from my own felines that what's a few more tears and scratches from some bird talons? ;)

No hummingbirds, but we do map their progress and show images of the routes those little dollbabies take. Talk about immense strength and endurance.

Btw, the birds we use in this special show are relatively tame- blue and gold macaw [which flies around the crowd and lands on me] and some owls. I am most excited that I finally get to see the baby cheetah who will be making his debut in the show after a few months of training.

Michele

PS The cheetah doesn't come out until after the birds are put away! ;D Just in case anyone was wondering.