Thursday, January 14, 2010

My Empty Nest

I’m sitting in the middle of an empty nest. I like it. I hate it.

The kids are once again gone; Daniel back to his new place in Rhode Island (and school), and Caitlin now settled in her new home in Chambersburg, PA, where she will be attending school. Her leaving is bittersweet. I am thrilled that she is back in school and still in pursuit of her life dream of becoming a Veterinarian, yet her room is empty, with not many traces that she even lived here. (Of course, I can still see and feel her presence). The empty pink rooms (she had two of them) are clean and empty (one does have a bed for her visits).

Her leaving this time is so different than when she went off to school, as I know that there is the chance she may never return to the nest. I am not sure about Daniel, as I am not sure what his future holds after he finishes school. I know he loves where he lives and is happy and thriving.
I am enjoying the quiet and I imagine the mother Robin feels the same after she has raised her little ones. I cannot imagine sitting on the eggs and ensuring they thrive is an easy task. What does she feel as the last little one goes off on their own?
Like the mother Robin, I will continue to be there for both my kids, and I know they know that I am not too far from them if and when they need me.

No comments: