Sunday, August 13, 2006

Sunday Morning Coffee and Softball

This past weekend I had the incredible opportunity to watch my niece Jilly play fast pitch softball. First of all, she’s awesome, so anything to do with her places her on the A-list by me. I absolutely love spending time with her, so being able to have the time to watch her play ball was a treat!

Jilly loves the game and it shows. Her team spirit and her determination to help the team win shine through brightly. She pitches, although she is not crazy about it, and does a pretty decent job. She also plays shirt stop and right field. She never misses the pop fly to right field and throws an awesome pitch, although she feels her arm is not that strong. I wouldn’t know, to be honest, but from where I sit, her arm looks good to me. Best of all I love to see her smile. She grins from ear to ear with each positive contribution she makes to the game. Of course, when Aunt Wendy yells out, “Jillybean, you rock!” I get an even bigger smile.

Her teammates are all sweet and despite their team averages (not the best) they all go to the field or plate with as much enthusiasm as they can muster up. I enjoy watching them all. Softball has taken on a whole new set of rules since I played at that age, but what continues is the love of the game, and for a group of 12 13 year-old girls, the game is always fun. And that’s what makes watching them fun for me. Thanks Jillybean! I love you.

No comments: