Saturday, December 26, 2009

Addictions

About two months ago, or even less, but not much less, I got started playing a game through Facebook called Farmville. I watched my daughter for a few weeks race to her laptop each am and then again after work, and originallythought she was dedicated to school stuff. However, one day I asked her what she was doing with so much enthusiasm and focus. Her reply, "Harvesting my crops." Huh?

So it was with my usual curiosity that I began to investigate and soon found myself a virtual farmer. My farm was slow to evolve, but with the help of my farm neighbors, I was soon gifted with all kinds of tress andanimals, and my farm was soon thriving and keeping me quite busy. I harvest and plant crops, gather feathers, milk cows, and collect eggs, and with each task I am rewarded coins and the occasional bonus. It's quite addicting, but with close family and friends playing along, loads of fun. Of course, the competative side keeps me working hard to level up to others, and with much determination, I am right beside those I wish to compete with as we play.
It's also nice to spend time online with dear friends, and my family tat does not live nearby.
It is a nice change for me to be here to write my blog and to play virtual games without having to worry about posting an assignment or write/research a paper. Perhaps its not Farmville that is the addiction, but the pleasure of being in a virtual community without having to be in a virtual community. I'd write more, but I have to harvest.

No comments: