Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Understanding Hemingway


I just found out that my brother does not understand and doesn’t “get” Ernest Hemingway. He recently took one of his books (and for the life of me I cannot remember which one it was right now) out hunting with him and read while waiting for deer to pass by. What better time to read Hemingway? The man loved the sport of hunting (bullfighting and fishing) and often wrote about it. His writing is to the point and memorable. His characters raw, real, and people we can relate to, people we know. Ernest Hemingway is a master of dialogue. It's not so much that he is recreating precisely how individuals speak, but through his brilliant use of repetition, he is able to make the reader remember what has been said.

I don’t get it. Perhaps he needs to try again. My brother, not Hemingway.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.