Monday, February 04, 2008

The Joys of Baking

"Food, like a loving touch or a glimpse of divine power, has that ability to comfort."
~Norman Kolpas

The above quote is certainly true. However, if Norman were to formulate a quote in regards to my old style of cooking and baking, he’d add the words, “interesting, unusual, thought provoking, and out of the ordinary”. It’s true, well almost.
Until several years ago, I had no real interest in the finer arts of baking and cooking. My culinary creativity was put to the test when I added hotdog pieces to Kraft Macaroni and Cheese ©. When my extended family got together for barbeques, I was the one asked to bring the paper goods. “It’s really better this way,’ I was informed. I had a spice cabinet full of spices and herbs, all for show. My baking and cooking supplies were almost non-existent. I didn’t need them. I hated cooking and baking.

Then one day I was standing in the line at the supermarket and a dish on the cover of Gourmet Magazine caught my attention. I bought the magazine and to my surprise the dish was not only easy to assemble, but I had all the necessary food and spices to throw it together. Of course, my next concern was would my family like it? They did! I was hooked. I was on my way to becoming a culinary Goddess.

Okay, that might be stretching it, but the truth is I finally saw myself as someone who might be able to function beyond the microwave on the kitchen. I started buying various food magazines and cookbooks and focused on the easier things to make. My family began looking for newer dishes to grace the table at mealtime! I soon realized that cooking and baking require love, time, and the ability to try new things. Fear really has no place in the kitchen.

So today I love to lots more time to devote to trying new things and have now amazed my friends and family at my talents in the kitchen. I’m happy there too.

“Noncooks think it's silly to invest two hours' work in two minutes' enjoyment; but if cooking is evanescent, so is the ballet.” ~ Julia Child

My Orange Blossom Cookies
Orange Blossoms *Makes about 2 dozen sandwich cookies
1 cup butter
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp orange extract
2 cups flour
¼ tsp salt

Heat oven to 400. Beat butter, sugar, and extract. Stir in flour and salt. IF dough is too soft, chill to firm a bit. Shape dough into 1 inch balls. Place about 1 inch apart on ungreased trays. Press bottom of glass into dough to grease glass then into granulated sugar. (I use Turbinado sugar) Then press dough ball on tray with sugared glass to about ¼ inch thick.

Bake 8-10 minutes until edges are golden brown. Remove immediately to racks to cool for about 30 minutes. Spread orange filling between pairs of cookies and sprinkle with powdered sugar.

Orange filling:
¼ cup sugar
2 ¼ tsp cornstarch
¼ cup water
1 Tb butter
1 tsp grated orange peel
4 ½ tsp orange juice

Mix sugar and cornstarch in 1 qt saucepan. Stir in remaining ingredients. Cook over medium heat, stirring until mixture thickens. Boil and stir 1 minute. Cool. Enjoy!!

No comments: