Monday, February 25, 2008

The Picket Fence

When we moved into our house five years ago, we surrounded our backyard with a picket fence. It wasn’t because we were into the whole “white picket fence dream” in which you finally reach attainment of your dreams. You know the one; the kids, the dogs, the house, the dream of the somewhat perfect life. Life was good and long time goals had been reached. It still is good, and we are blessed.

Our goals and dreams did come true, but the reality is, we had two dogs that needed to be barricaded in the yard to ensure their safety. So the fence was bought and put up almost immediately. It did not take us long to decide on the type of fence. I liked the idea of something that provided safety, but would not be seen as a wall to cut us off from our neighbors.

And the idea of a white picket fence did not interest me, so the fence was stained what become to be known as “poopy brown”. It matches the deck. I was happy with my fence. Until now.

We have a problem with our neighbors. It seems they are licensed to run a 5 bed hospital so people come and go all day long, which does not go over well with the dogs. Although they are doing their jobs (protecting their home and family), there is way too much barking. There is also the problem of people thinking they have to offer the dogs cookies all day. So the picket fence has to go.

I have no regrets about “fencing” these neighbors out, but I am sad to “fence” out the other side. I love those neighbors! Jim is trying to come with a way we can “drop open the fence” (I know this sounds strange) but I do not want to lose my connection to them. So up the new fence goes, and down comes the very first picket fence we ever owned.

No comments: