Friday, February 01, 2008

Technology and Umbilical Cords


I love knowing that through today's technology I have an almost constant "lifeline" to my kids. It can only be compared to an umbilical cord; a valuable link that joins mother and baby. The value of a healthy umbilical cord is important as it allows the mother to share nutrients with her baby and to exchange oxygenated blood between the placenta and the fetus.

My umbilical cord to my kids consists of cell phones, the land line (you know that thing hanging on the kitchen wall), and various computer programs that allow me to connect instantly, anytime, anywhere. Now that Caitlin is living so far from me, this connection has become all too important and one I could not be without. Technology allows us to share information. It allows me to see her in real time, so that I can really see how she is doing. (Facial expressions have become all too important). Cell phones link me to Daniel and this becomes important when the weather is bad and I have to know he is at work or home safe and sound.

The phrase "cutting the umbilical cord" is used symbolically to describe a child's breaking away from the parental home. They may leave home or be far from home, but they are never far from me as long as technology allows me this vital link. It allows me to breathe easier. I am grateful they understand this need I have and that they never mind me entering their lives via technology.

No comments: