Friday, July 18, 2008

The History of American Nursing: Part One

I love this class! Oh sure it is a ton of writing, and reading, and posting things to the online classroom, but I do really do like what I am learning! Who knew there was more to my professional nursing history than just Florence (my idol) Nightingale, Clara Barton, Dorthea Dix, and everyone’s favorite girl, Cherry Ames! The myths of history are being whacked at one by one. I had no idea that male nurses go way back, I mean way back! And male midwives existed before females midwives really got started!

My mentor is a lovely woman from Washington State and the only one who ever even bothered to encourage phone calls to her!! It’s nice placing a voice to a person to a name! (If you get my drift).

My class essay or research project (so to speak) will focus on how home births went to hospital births and what impact this change made on early American nursing school curriculums. I know, dry for some, but I am finding the preliminary stuff kind of neat to read about. So that’s where I am at, for now. In case you were dying to know. =)

No comments: