Sunday, July 27, 2008

Old Lady and the Sea

Growing up at the Jersey Shore has allowed me to the opportunity to do some ocean fishing. I also grew up on a lake so we all had our fishing education at an early age, and our first poles were usually a stick, some fishing line, and another stick or piece of cork for the bobber. The art of digging for worms was something we all excelled at, and even finding night crawlers with tiny flashlights was something we all did with great proficiency.

Picture, if you will, four small kids lined up along the lake shore line with usually my dad or Uncle Ronnie right there instructing us on why we should not cast so close to each other and the trees, or ELSE. Picture again several lines all crossing into each other or hanging out of the trees that graced the lake. Thankfully, both our teachers had great patience.

My fishing at the ocean has always been from the beach or the jetty, although I have been able to catch fish no matter the place. I am not an avid fisherperson, but I have enjoyed it when I have been able to go. In addition, I am not the least bit squeamish about baiting my own hook, or scraping fish cuts off my hands. Yesterday, I had the chance to fish on a boat at sea.

My brother John has a boat, a big one, and Jim and I went to sea with him to spend some time fishing. I did catch one small fluke, but had to throw him back (fishing laws dictate size along the coast). Fish or no fish, I had an incredible time soaking up the sun, enjoying the smell of the salty air, and feeling the wet spray on my skin as we flew over waves and bounced along the current. We were also able to see a large pod of dolphins playing and feeding in the water and that added to the experience.

I hope to go again, although it might have to wait until next year as the rest of this summer is filled with landlubber activities, but I can always look forward to doing it again, and again. The open invitation is there.

It was R-E-L-A-X-I-N-G! And I love to relax, especially with family. Adding the sea only made the experience better.

No comments: