Sunday, November 16, 2008

Cancer Sucks

Cancer sucks. It really does. It has affected so many of my family and friends. In fact, I am hard pressed to find anyone whose life has not been affected by it.

My dad died of it when he was only 66. A young 66 at that. He was initially diagnosed with chronic lymphocytic leukemia and fought a three-year long battle to defeat it. Unfortunately it won. At the time of his death, he also was diagnosed with TWO other forms of cancer. It seems one kind was not enough.

Several years ago I was sitting in my doctor’s office when she found a mass on my thyroid. After many tests and a surgery to remove the right lobe of my thyroid, the cell was identified and although a rare cell, it was not malignant. The time between the initial finding and the final pathology report was rough. During this time, I thought of my dad on daily basis. If it was to be a malignant cancer, would I be as strong as my dad? Thankfully I was not to be tested. This time.

Then several months later, a lump was found on my husband’s thyroid. He was not it seemed, as lucky. His cancer was malignant, has since had his entire thyroid removed, and will be treated with radioactive iodine in the near future. Thyroid cancer is one the easiest cancers to treat so his prognosis, if you will, is good. Despite the good news, the whole ordeal did take its emotional toll on all of his. Cancer robs us physically and emotionally. It sucks.

Both my husband and I are proactive with our health. Thankfully. So we don’t sit waiting for nasty cells to invade us. We wait, watching for them. I only wish everyone would be as vigilant with their bodies.

2 comments:

Mindy said...

Cancer does suck! I'm so sorry that you've had to deal with it so much in your life. I hope things go well for your husband!

Anonymous said...

Wendy -- I share your thoughts about cancer, having CLL myself.
A positive attitude makes a difference. Notice the little things and find the best in them.

Holding good thoughts for your husband.

Fran