Wednesday, November 05, 2008

A New Day..A New Country

I woke up today, like all of you, to a new president, Barack Obama. Despite my political views, I cannot help but pause to think that we have elected a president who’s middle name unnerves many of us, who is the son of an interracial couple, and who was raised by a couple who did not live within the America’s power and wealth. He is more like the average American, despite what you might think. (Let’s just put aside all the bad things that have been said about him, for a minute)

I cannot help but put myself in the shoes of all Black Americans today. The barrier has been broken. Imagine what might be going on in the mind of a young black boy who now knows he too could be a president someday. Imagine those who never thought Blacks could move forward, and let us face it, that mindset still, sadly, exists in this country.

I cannot help but think of Dr.Martin Luther King. His famous speech now echoes throughout this country.

I am not a Barack fan, although I am a Democrat. At this point, I just want a man who will redirect this country. I want a president that does not try to solve every problem but will do those things beyond the power of individual citizens to get things done. I want a president that will help to regulate the economy fairly. I want a president that will help keep the air clean and our food supplies safe. I want a president that helps to ensure that the sick will have access to health care. I want a president that will help to look past the walls of America to help ensure that children around the globe are educated and kept as healthy as possible.

The choice has been made. Now we have to stand behind this man and together as a nation reach goals that will benefit us all. This country cannot be redirected by one person; collectively, as a nation, we all have to reach for the goals together.

1 comment:

Mindy said...

Good post, Wendy. I am disappointed by the outcome, but I hope we can all come together to be a better America.