Wednesday, November 19, 2008

"Mother's Little Helper"

During the 1960’s, Valium was known as “Mother’s Little Helper”, getting many women through their hectic days...snowing them until they could not recognize one day from the next. Valium was the drug that revolutionized the treatment of anxiety and became a cultural icon. It was the drug in the book Valley of the Dolls, which made it such a great read. The "dolls" within the title is a slang term for downers, or the mood altering drugs. Apparently, the drug is making a comeback; taken with alcohol to help drug addicts get through their hectic days (which I have no idea what that might be considered 'hectic' when one is a drug addict... Where to score the next drug? Which provider is cheaper? How to avoid being caught?)

As a mother, I too need a little helper, but my pills come in the form of something called a Kong. A Kong is pictured so the reader does not get confused, or think I might be confusing a Kong with a bong. I have times when I am trying to get schoolwork done, and I found myself trying to entertain 3 Goldens who think it is time to play. Therefore, I fill each Kong with peanut butter, and viola! I have three happy and very busy dogs working tirelessly to get to the peanut butter, thus helping mother get things done. MY little helper!

Unfortunately, I still feel the effects of sedation as I read through some of the posts on the bulletin board where I go to school...

No comments: