Friday, December 07, 2007

I've lost my inner-elf


Tis the season to be jolly, or so the song goes. I'm not feeling so jolly this year and this feeling has rolled over into my kitchen. There were no cookies until this morning. This is so not like me. Anyone who knows me, is well aware that my holiday baking begins in October and is usually done by now. The little baking elf is missing this year. I have no real explanation.

I've decorated the house, and the tree will go up this weekend. The cards and holiday letter are done (not mailed yet), but done and ready to go out next week. I've made a list of items I will make for Christmas evening (held here this year), and have even made a few purchases to ensure my guests are well fed. Yet no real significant amount of cookies are found here.

I will make enough to go in gift baskets for my neighbors, and perhaps a few for a cookie tray to be put out on Christmas Eve. But that's it. I normally make a huge basket for my work mates, but last year, the basket did not empty out completely, and cookies were wasted. I'm not going to let that happen this year. In fact, I have already told them, "No cookies this year. The baking elf is on strike and will not return in time to help me bake."

I hope my inner-elf is not lost. I miss her.

No comments: