Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Wishing for a White Christmas

I am sure I am not alone. Many people every year wish that a little snow might come their way on Christmas. Why do we yearn for a white Christmas? What is it about snow that adds to the holiday?

I do not remember every Christmas I had as a kid, but I do remember the ones with snow. It seems to me that was the Christmas that we got new sleds, or something that might require a few inches of snow. Of course, I also remember that every snow we had as kids could only be measured in feet and not inches.

We lived on a small hill, and our driveway was an incredible hill for sledding. If the snow was deep enough, and it always was, and the plow did not do a real good job plowing the road that our driveway spilled out on, we could go from the top of our driveway right across the road and down the embankment by the lake. It was a thrill ride and one we would do a million times no matter how cold it was at the time. The ride became more of a thrill and a challenge when the lake was frozen and we could end the ride on the lake. It never mattered what kind of sled we had either. Round ones, plastic ones, or the dependable flexible flyer, each was mastered by my siblings and me.

Perhaps snow reminds me of a time when I had no responsibilities and the only real challenge I had was mastering the sled from the top of the hill to the bottom of it. Childhood and all it had to offer. I also love the quiet of snow. You know that sound. That silent sound you hear when snow is quietly falling and nothing can be heard but the snow itself, as it hits the ground. It’s peaceful. It’s beautiful. It’s always welcomed at Christmas.

No comments: