Sunday, August 10, 2008

Midnight Buffets




I have written before in my blog how much I love my little vegetable garden. Despite its tiny size, I have gotten quite a lot out of it each year. In fact, last year I got enough tomatoes to make 20 quarts of tomato sauce. Not bad, eh? However, this year I already know there will not be a repeat performance.

My tomato plants took off early, and before long, they were truly brimming with green tomatoes. However, by the time they began to turn their red color, I had begun to see the demise of each tomato. It seems, I am not the only one who was waiting for this year’s bumper crop. I have discovered my local chipmunks love them as well.

Each morning I head out to the garden to see what has gone on the night before and I find the remainders of slightly orange tomatoes strewn about the yard. The little pigs are eating ALL my crops! In addition, they do not even finish eating them! I can’t pick the green ones, although I should, and just eat them fried, but how many fried green tomatoes can one eat? I like the big red juicy tomatoes!

Even Daniel’s cucumbers have been nibbled on! We are running a midnight buffet in our yard and no one is leaving us a tip! Damn chipmunks. I wish they were not so cute.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Midnight buffets? Hysterical!

Um, I mean, I'm sorry. ;) I feel your pain though.

You know of my constant battle with the Gang of Eight [deer] but I also have North America's highest concentration of chipmunks in addition to lots of squirrels, rabbits, groundhogs, a lone fox, possums, raccoons etc. I used to grow tomatoes. Wait. Let me correct that. Like you, I grew vines.

Over the years I have often thought of calling the government to inform them that there must be a radioactive patch of ground in my backyard since the tomatoes and other vegetables I tried to grow only had a Half Life.

My favorite story, though, concerns the fiasco with deer repellents. I tried so many chemicals; natural products [like coyote urine- and you don't want to know about that!] hair, soap encased in nylons [and you'd think the Queen Size No Nonsense pantyhose would have been enough to scare them away. But, no.]

Finally I asked the neighbor's gardeners and they recommended something called "This One Really Works" No kidding, that's the actual name. So I went out and bought a gallon. Sprayed everything. Plants, flowers, foodstuffs.

I am now planning on filing a class-action lawsuit for false advertising.

Because, not only was it NOT a repellent, it was more like salad dressing! An invitation to an all-you-can-eat-buffet to all the little woodland creatures around my property. "Come and get it!"

Funny how much money I saved this year by not buying anymore garden plants. Even more amazing how pretty some weeds look! Except to the deer.

Michele

Wendy said...

I have admitted defeat, in my own yard. However, I have left a tiny tip jar out in the garden, and a note that reads, "Your mom does not live here, so clean up after yourselves".