Tuesday, February 03, 2009

False Promises (Again)

I am so tired of being promised that we will get snow and then a big nothing. I like the snow. I like watching it fall from the sky, and blanketing the ground, making everything so pretty. However, if we are not going to get snow, in any amount (one inch does not count), then let us just move onto spring. I have things that need to be done outside (more leaves and sticks out front).

I miss the winters I had as kid. I remember a ton of snow and many school closings. What happened to all that snow? (Shhh, I know about global warming, just let me reminisce here). I grew up in a house that sat on a hill, so when we had snow, we had major fun. Our house sat across the street from Deal Lake, and there were times we could start at the top of the driveway, fly down across the street, and down another hill and onto the lake. NOW that was snow!

Moreover, it lasted. We did not have a few hours of snow and then rain and it was gone. We had good snow, healthy snow, snow that lasted and lasted. Where is that snow? We had the kind of snow that provided my brothers with serious income from hours and hours of shoveling storefronts and people’s driveways. We had the kind of snow that required tons of extra mittens and snow pants. Snow pants! What kids have to wear them today when it snows? No one.

I wish for a major snow episode. An old-fashioned blizzard. No more false promises. Get serious mother nature.

No comments: