Friday, October 03, 2008

The Colors of Fall?

It's October 3rd, and I have bought the pumpkins, and will buy my mums this weekend to decorate my front porch for Fall / Halloween. The Fall flags are out and closer to Halloween I will put out my Halloween flags. BUT I still have gorgeous impatiens in the front of the house, so how Fallish will the house look?

Hence my dilemma. I do not want to yank out the flowers as they come back every year, and have migrated from a few plants three years ago, to an amazing amount, that almost extends over the entire front garden. BUT I feel that with them there, the pumpkins and mums will not take center stage. And with the weather we have had, and are still having, they are no where close to dying out.

So I will drag out the pumpkins, place a few mums and then add a few Halloween decorations and hope people see them and not the pretty flowers. I know it sounds silly, but I love the colors of Fall and want them to stand out. Even with bigger issues in our world, sometimes it's ok to stray towards the smaller problems. At least they are easier to deal with in my own warped way. So for now I will blend the seasons and hope that by December when it is time to hang the wreath on the front door, that the mums will have faded and I can enjoy the green pines, red ribbons, and sparkling ornaments that will adorn my front door. Life can be so complicated sometimes!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow. you weren't kidding about the flowers! they do look nice though! can't wait to see the mums when i come home!! migo too. :OP

Mindy said...

The flowers are beautiful! I'd let them harmonize with the fall... I'm sure it will still look gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

After seeing your beautiful flowers I have decided to go green.


With envy!

So lovely! Impatiens are about the only thing I can grow at my home but yours put mine to shame. I am sure your holiday dispay and decorations will be equally as impressive.

Michele