Sunday, October 19, 2008

Thoughts of Turkey, Stuffing, and the Works!

Last year I made our holiday turkey using this recipe and after rave reviews, I am going to do it again this year. While I have used Martha's Turkey 101 recipe and loved it, this recipe has pushed right past hers, and now remains my favorite.
The recipe is lengthy so I have added the link right to the source; Saveur Magazine (one of my favorites). The recipe is titled, Crisp Apple-Scented Roast Turkey with Cider–Calvados Gravy and mere words can not describe how yummy this bird was, even for me! I will tell you that as I type out this blog, my mouth is watering just thinking about this coming Thanksgiving.
The dessert is always the typical pies, although my sister Sue gets them from Delicious Orchards, so they are not so typical, rather delicious. BUT a few years ago, Caitlin and my niece Jillian found a recipe for Pumpkin Pistachio Cannolis which are awesome! So this recipe I will share as well.

Pumpkin Pistachio Cannolis
Ingredients

1/2 of an 8-oz. carton mascarpone cheese
3/4 cup powdered sugar
3/4 cup canned pumpkin
1/2 cup ricotta cheese
1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1/2 cup chopped roasted pistachio nuts or toasted pecans
1/2 cup whipping cream
12 purchased cannoli shells*
Powdered sugar or granulated sugar


In a large bowl stir together mascarpone cheese, powdered sugar, pumpkin, ricotta, and pumpkin pie spice until smooth. Stir in 1/4 cup of the nuts. Set aside.
In a chilled mixing bowl beat cream with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Fold into pumpkin mixture. If desired, cover and chill up to 4 hours. To serve, spoon pumpkin mixture into a self-sealing plastic bag. Snip a 3/4" hole in one corner. Pipe filling into cannoli shells so pumpkin filling extends from ends. Sprinkle cannoli ends with remaining nuts. Arrange on a serving platter. Sprinkle with sugar.
If purchased cannoli shells are not available brush one side of 16 four inch flour tortillas (trim larger tortillas if necessary) with cooking oil. Roll, forming a tube shape, secure with a wooden toothpick. Gently place a rolled piece of foil in the center for support. Place on baking sheet, brush outside with oil and bake in a 375 degree oven about 15 minutes or until golden brown. Place on wire rack to cool. Remove foil and toothpicks. Fill with pumpkin mixture. Makes 16 shells (allows for breakage).

Enjoy!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

im so hungry for turkey and pies and ughhh just yummyyyyy turkey day treats and food. :-)

Puzzles to Print said...

Great recipes. Pumpkin and marcapone cheese sounds like a good divergence from the typical pumpkin pie. If anyone is interested in learning about Calvados, check out Types of Brandy in France.

AtYourCervix said...

I am *so* going to make those cannolis for my family get together!

Wendy said...

atyourcervix...you won't regret it...they are so yummy! And a nice change from pie!