Wednesday, October 15, 2008

"Deck the Halls with Boughs of Holly..."

One of my weaknesses is the ability to wait until the appropriate time to listen to Christmas music. Or is there an appropriate time? Some say December 1st, some say the day after Thanksgiving, while others say, whenever you want to listen to it, go for it! Of course, there are the scrooges out there who say one day of that crap is enough! Bah Humbug.

So with that said, I confess I am one who begins to listen 1 October. Oh sure, I know the pumpkins are not even out, let alone out and put away, but I love Christmas music and I am not ashamed to share this with you. (my kids are eye rolling as they read this, and would like to be in the catergory of those who feel the day after Thanksgiving is quite soon enough). But they know me, and they know how much I love it, so they quietly roll their eyes and let me listen. (Thank God for iPods...theirs and mine).

There's something about it that provides me with a sense of peace. I grew up with a grandmother who loved it, so it has to be a genetic thing. I can remember being at her house singing along with her, and Mitch Miller and Bing Crosby. She had a love of music and her album collection of Christmas music was enough to provide me with a diverse collection of tunes. So when I listen to the holiday music I am taken back to that living room, and a time well spent with MomMom, whose love added to the holidays for all of us. I miss her.

Christmas has always been special to me, as it is to most, but when I listen to the music, I am taken back to times, especially during childhood, where all I had to do was be a kid. Maybe that's it. Maybe it allows me the opportunity to find a place without responsibilities, worries, and stress. Whatever the reason, my iPod is full of the holiday tunes I love and it is now in full swing giving me a sense of peace in these troubling times we all live in these days. It might be better than any anxiety med out there. Whatever. I'm decking the halls in my head, and I like it.

No comments: