Thursday, October 02, 2008

Magical Mushrooms

While mowing the lawn, I couldn't help but notice the vast variety of mushrooms that were rising up between the blades of grass all over the front lawn. I have never seen so many different kinds, and had to stop and take notice. I know it's common to have mushrooms pop up in spots, especially with the all the rain and humid temps we have had lately, but really, the amount of colors and shapes left me to wonder what was going on.

I had to Google mushrooms, and found many pages dedicated to the common American mushrooms found on common front lawns (yes those pages do exist). I was amazed at the number of species I have just on the front lawn, never mind the back lawn. I am always picking them just in case one of the dogs gets a yen for a snack. God forbid we have an emergency vet visit. Some are easily removed, while others test my picking abilities. They are the ones found low to the ground; ones I practically have to scrape off the lawn (not easy).

According to most mushroom sites, the best way to get rid of mushrooms for good is to get rid of the lawn. Well, that is not an option. In fact, most experts agree lawns are best when there are fungi spores hanging around. so they stay and I remain vigilant in picking. I love the mushrooms you can get at the supermarket to eat, no matter the price, and have never once thought about eating mushrooms I could get free in the yard. I know there are varieties that one could might eat and not get ill, or even die from, but I am not taking the chance. So I pick and discard. And because they return like magic, I do it again, and again, and again.

MUSHROOM: a structure, produced by a fungus, that is large enough to be visible to the naked eye and has as its primary function the production of sexual reproductive spores.

No comments: