Thursday, October 30, 2008

Jack-O-Lanterns

It seems carving pumpkins is just not the same when you do not have little ones, or even the bigger version of children to help you. However, I still tackle the chore each year, so that I have Jack-O-Lanterns on my front porch for the trick-or-treaters who visit for Halloween, and a handful of roasted seeds to nibble on as well.

So this am, after two cups of coffee, I pulled out my sharpest knives (Thanks Daniel) and got to work. The first pumpkin was moldy inside, which was disappointing since I love to pull out the seeds and roast them. But I dug in, and scooped, and carved the typical face. Each pumpkin was given triangle eyes, a triangle nose, and a toothy grin. Cute, but nothing elaborate. Pumpkins two and three were carved out, and the faces, again, simple, but done using a similar face although io reversed the triangles. The seeds were scooped and put aside for roasting.

After the cleanup, I mixed the seeds with steak sauce (Yes, Lea and Perrins Traditional Steak sauce), threw on some salt, and in the oven they went for a slow baking. I am sitting here with the smell of the roasting seeds wafting through the air and my mouth is watering. I know, they are only seeds, but still...

The chore is done. My porch now ready for Halloween. The candy bowls are out and full. Now I can begin to think about Christmas...Oh wait, I have already started doing that!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

no pumpkins in grenada. sad.

Wendy said...

You have lizards.