Thursday, September 25, 2008

Cooking for the Holidays

It is never too early (For many it might be, but for me, it is not) to start to think about what I might be serving for the holiday meals. The fall magazines are starting to appear in the stores and my mailbox and with them loads of recipes and ideas for meals for Thanksgiving. At this point, I am not sure where we will celebrate the holidays, but I can start to think about side dishes or what stuff might taste good.

I love ogling over each magazine; wondering what might be fun to try, and what everyone might like to see on the table. I love both holidays, but I have to admit that cooking for Thanksgiving has always been more fun. My favorite part of the meal is the stuffing. I am not one of the package-stuffing girls, and love the idea of adding new things to enhance the flavor. Chestnuts and fruits added are my favorite. In addition, what is stuffing without sausage? The person who hosts gets the job of providing the bird. I am not a huge turkey fan, but what would Thanksgiving be without one? And what would the day after be without leftovers, which is always the bad part about not hosting the event. No leftovers! The best part in my opinion.

Growing up Christmas was always the Lasagna holiday and that has continued for the most part today. THAT's one dish I feel I excel at so I love having that task. Of course, this then means I host Christmas day here, which is ok with me. Christmas Eve is usually spent with family munching on hand held foods, appetizers or small sandwiches. It is really all about getting together, making the food secondary, but nonetheless important, so I also start thinking about what I might serve or bring to that holiday table. I like creative little snacks.

And of course, what are the holidays without cookies? I have a lot to think about...

No comments: