Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Whirl Wind of a Trip: Providence RI



Jim, Dan, and I headed up to see his new campus yesterday at Johnson & Wales (J&W) (Providence, RI),and I L O V E it! The campus is a campus ( pretty and spacious), but the city of Providence is awesome (again stealing my niece’s favorite word). We stayed downtown near the downtown campus of Johnson and Wales, and were able to see that part of the campus as well. We learned that J&W owns just about all of Providence. Sio what might Dan’s tuition be paying for?

As you may know Providence is the capitol of Rhode Island and from our hotel room, we got a great view of the capitol building. The downtown area has its charming antiquated areas, cobblestones streets, and modern upscale buildings and areas. The shopping malls are several floors up, and several in number. I could go crazy here with a plastic card. The parks, the ones we stumbled upon, are again spacious, and the kind of place you could imagine yourself hanging out in on a Sunday afternoon.

We ate a place called Fire and Ice, and kind of bar with assorted iced drinks, and food that you pick out, bowl up, and hand off to the cook to grill for you! You can fill up the bowl as many times as you like, and the assortment of food abounded. We had a great meal. BUT, it is not the only place in town. In fact, there was an overabundance of places that would have had me checking them out if I only had more time, money, and room in the belly! BUT, I will be back (that’s a stolen quote from Arnold this time).

I’m happy that I got to check out Providence with Danny before he settles in at school. I will sleep better (yeah right) knowing he is in a safe area and in a good place. I hope he takes advantage of his new home, and explores every inch of Providence and beyond. It might be a once in a lifetime experience.

No comments: