Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Teachers Who Made a Difference

In today's obits, there was an announcement about a teacher who passed away at the high school that I attended. While I did have this specific person, my sister Gidget did, but it got me to thinking about those teachers I had that really made a difference in my life.

My freshman year I had an English teacher, Bill Esberg, who inspired me to write and to read all I could. While writing was a challenge initially for me, I persisted and eventually became to like it. Reading books in class with him was an event, and I came away with the understanding that a book, could take us places, and take us on adventures. He had a red bat, which he slammed it on the nearest desk to make a point and to wake up the sleeping student. How anyone could doze off in this class stymied me. Sophomore year I had Lou Gorra, who again inspired us to read and write, but he added the cinema and encouraged me to look for deeper meanings in movies. I remember Brain's Song and not being able to watch this movie without a full box of tissues. Junior year I was awestruck with my teacher Richard Johnstone. He had a flare for the dramatics and it was usual to have a prop in the room for each book we tackled or each film we might have reviewed. He captivated us all. Senior year I had Yair Lamdanski who had an incredible sense of humor. He again continued to motivate me to write and write well.

My history teachers were memorable as well. Jean Bello was a real fruit loop, but what she gave me was motivation to think "outside the box" and that was important and still is today. Anna Lieberman inspired us to think how the world outside ours influenced us and that no day could really begin until after one read the NY Times. While I only read the Times on occasion, I am one who values the importance of world events and how they shape my own world. Russel Leidy was also a nut case, but he also encouraged me to think about that world that existed outside my own comfort zone. Life "on the other side of the tracks" was scary, but one in which we could not hide from.

Four years of Spanish were taught to me by a handful of teachers but the one who left the biggest mark was Rachel Vecchione who made us laugh and showed us that all corners of the globe were reachable if we only grabbed for them.

Science was a valuable part of where I would land today and each teacher left a stamp on my heart. Lewis Givler taught me that playing in the dirt could be fun, but one should know exactly what it was that one was playing in. Joseph Manno tugged at my heartstrings (literally). I still have a crush on him. He taught me the value of research, which would become an important part of nursing. William Hill and Bruce Cameron also enriched my life by inspiring me to love science. I thank them all for showing me the way.

Math was math but the two teachers who made a difference were Leonard Stout and John DeTalvo. They both taught me NOT to be afraid of numbers, x's, y's, and shapes.

High school teachers should make some sort of difference in a kids life and I am truly thankful that I was so inspired by some of them and those who did so will continue to live on in my heart.

No comments: