Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Batter Up!

Spring means so many things, but for many of us, it means one important thing, the start of baseball season! I have always been a major Yankee fan, simply because I was raised in a family of Yankee fans, so it comes by naturally. My nephew Joshua is a Yankee enthusiast, as is his sister Jillian. Sharing a Yankee tidbit with these two is always a learning experience for me. Just when I think I have a handle on the game or a player, these two are always quick to update or challenge me. So I learn my way through the season every year.

Two years ago, I thought about switching teams. We were down in Baltimore and with the impending move of Fort Monmouth to the Baltimore area (Jim’s job might potentially move there); I thought I might want to consider making the change. Joshua was appalled. How could I do this? Easy. You simply buy an Orioles tee shirt and declare yourself a fan. Isn’t that how it is done? I mean that’s how I became a Roger Clemons fan (although, look where that got me). Stupid Steroids.

Not having any clue to who was who on the Orioles Team, I went into a sports shop in Baltimore (smart, eh?) and found the most popular tee. I was drawn to Rodrigo López; this had to be the player I had to follow. He was their starting pitcher, but has since left the Orioles and now plays for the Colorado Rockies. So much for that short lived following of Lopez. However, I have decided to maintain my following of the Orioles, perhaps because almost everyone around me roots for the Yankees, and I like to be different in a sea of Yankee fans. And they are somewhat a local team (If you drive fast). I know they are considered underdogs, and this season does not look as promising as they might hope to be (their words, not mine), but they are thinking ahead and are hoping the 2009 season might be the one season they shine. I’m going to root for them all the way through the season. Now all I have to do is get a new tee shirt. Hellooo Guthrie!

Clemons who?

No comments: