Wednesday, April 30, 2008

BIG Harvests from my TINY Garden

Being the gourmet cook that I am (said tongue in cheek); I absolutely love having fresh herbs on hand to use in my recipes. I have always had a small plot of land to grow my herbs, and also have various small pots of them in my outdoor kitchen. Because the price of food has drastically risen, I have added an additional herb garden, so that my herbs can grow in one place, and I can add more tomato and pepper plants where the herbs used to grow. The additional space is needed now more than ever to grow more tomato plants.

Last year, I was able to harvest enough tomatoes from my tiny garden to make 20 quarts of tomato sauce which helped get us through the cold winter months. And who doesn’t like homemade sauce? This year, with the addition of more tomato plants, I hope to get more quarts made after my fall harvest. I also plan on raiding my brother’s garden, like last year (thankfully he and Heidi love to share their harvest).

The soaring food prices have led many of us to rethink how we buy our food and options in ensuring we have plenty on hand (hopefully). My little garden harvest will provide me with an opportunity to provide not only something extra to have on hand, but something homemade, fresh, and hopefully very delicious to put on the table over the winter months. The work over the summer to ensure a good harvest will make it all worth it in the end.

No comments: