Sunday, April 20, 2008

The Daily Crossword Puzzle

As we grow older, most of us begin to notice small memory lapses - an unrecognized face, a forgotten name (usually one of the dogs or kids), a missed appointment. We become concerned about our mental health, constantly on the lookout for changes in our memory and reasoning capabilities. I am certainly no different. And with Alsheimer's the "hot disease" out there now, I am more careful.

So every morning, without fail, I complete the crossword puzzle in the daily paper. It’s exercise for my brain and solving crossword puzzles constitutes one of the most delightful, yet powerful ways of pushing my brain and staying sharp. Research has shown that if we challenge our aging brains, we can remain mentally sharp. Intellectually stimulating activity is known to have the potential to stave off Alzheimer's and other brain diseases, and crossword puzzles in particular are well-suited to this purpose, as they involve a daily burst of sustained mental activity. Studies have found that older people who regularly flex their brains almost halved the risk of developing Alzheimer's (the studies are ongoing). I can hope that holds true for my aging brain, because some days I can’t remember where I parked the car or what I ran upstairs to get that I needed.

I used to blame this lack of metal function on menopause, which is a part of the aging process (as you all know) and not my random stupidity. Initially, it annoyed me, but as I watched others struggle with this, I began to find some humor in it. It’s often to fun to run into the supply room at work with other nurses my age, only to stand there together and ask each other what or why we might be in there.

I’m an advocate for using the brain. Lord knows we have to in order to survive. Adding a daily crossword puzzle not only stimulates my brain, but it’s an exercise that provides me with a quiet period of time before I begin what might be a hectic day. It’s like a daily pill; a pill that will help my brain stay as healthy as possible, for as long as possible. And some days I need all the help I can get (just ask my kids).

No comments: