Monday, April 07, 2008

Laughing in the Face of Cancer

Cancer sucks. It really does. It has affected so many of my family and friends. In fact, I am hard pressed to find anyone whose life has not been affected by it.

My dad died of it when he was only 66. A young 66 at that. He was initially diagnosed with chronic lymphocytic leukemia and fought a three-year long aggressive battle to defeat it. Unfortunately it won. At the time of his death, he also was diagnosed with TWO other forms of cancer. It seems one kind was not enough. I still wonder why he had to face several cancers. It does not seem fair.

Several years ago I was sitting in my doctor’s office when she found a mass on my thyroid. After many tests and a surgery to remove the right lobe of my thyroid, the cell was identified and although a rare cell, it was not malignant. The time between the initial finding and the final pathology report was rough. During this time, I thought of my dad on daily basis. If it was to be a malignant cancer, would I be as strong as my dad? Thankfully I was not to be tested.

Several months later, a lump was found on my husband’s thyroid. He was not, it seemed, as lucky. His cancer was malignant, and has since had his entire thyroid removed, and gone through radioactive Iodine treatments, which while easy to deal with, are no less annoying. Thyroid cancer is one the easiest cancers to treat so his “prognosis” was good and he is cancer free today. Despite the good news, the whole ordeal did take its emotional toll on all of his, especially my kids. Cancer robs us physically and emotionally. It sucks. And there is no real way to deal with it except day by day, and even hour by hour.


I have a few friends who are dealing with the diagnosis of cancer and potential cancer (they are awaiting tests results) at this time. They are all facing it in different ways. No one way is right. No one way is wrong. But they are different. I have a friend who uses humor to talk about it (and in quite an amusing way I might add). Her strength is admirable. I honestly marvel at how she deals it with it, and humor has been proven to be so effective in dealing with health issues, so she is dealing with it in a healthy way. I do hope that her and all my friends do not have to endure any lengthy battles. I want those who are waiting for test results to get good news, but if not, I hope they all find a way to face it using some form of humor. And for those who have been diagnosed, I hope they can find a way to laugh in the face of cancer. Cancer sucks. I know it first hand, but using humor does help. I know that too. Even my dad laughed along the way from time to time. And that not only helped him, but his family as well.

“The art of medicine consists of keeping the patient amused while nature heals the disease." ~Voltaire


"We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand."
~Randy Pausch

No comments: