Wednesday, April 02, 2008

The Truth About Reality TV

I admit it...I am a reality TV show watcher. How could I not be? It seems every time I turn on the TV, there are more and more new versions of reality TV shows to entertain me. (Ok, the word entertain is debatable). If it isn’t stars trying to dance and sing their way into our living rooms, it’s a handful of people having volatile screaming matches at each other, while the cameras monitor their every move. Either way, every single reality show, no matter how dimwitted or intriguing, is a guilty pleasure that the majority of the American population, including me, watches each week.

I do have my favorites, and they are in no particular order:

Big Brother: I love the bitchiness that spews forth from the contestants (and this is one show I share with my niece, Jillian)
Top Chef: It features cooking and the occasional guest judge, Anthony Bourdain (what’s not to love about this?)
Hell’s Kitchen: Again, cooking, and potty mouth Gordon Ramsey (He makes me chuckle as he degrades the wannabe chefs)
American’s Next Top Model: I have no idea what intrigues me so much about this one, except that Tyra serves as good role model for young women (This show helps me to perfect my ‘model’ behavior) =)

I cannot deny it...reality television is like an addictive drug to me. Initially I am curious, so I try it. Then before I know it, I am hooked, and I am taping every episode. No matter how stupid or obnoxious these worthless pieces of drivel are, I watch them. (although I do learn various ways of preparing food, so maybe NOT so worthless) But why?

Perhaps we like reality television because these people on the shows are kind of like us. These shows also give us a means to live vicariously through the "characters" on the show. (I wish I could sing and dance like her...perhaps in my next argument I should add that line) That may be a general aspect of entertainment, but with these reality stars, it hits closer to home. Most of the time, these people are not people we aim to be, but since they are commonplace, their nonfictional significance is more within reach. (I could only dream of looking like Tyra) These people we watch are not celebrities encased in the "holier than thou" bubble of Hollywood. In essence, they are like us. These people are nobodies that have turned into a "somebody," so their dramatic episodes are a bizarre type of voyeurism that we indulge in. They may be irritating as hell, but at the end of the day, reality TV is a form of therapy to escape our own version of reality. And perhaps that isn’t so bad after all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

im sucker for all those shows.. there addicting. i loveee top chef. america's next top model. i think tyra banks is beautiful.