Monday, April 28, 2008

The Real Meaning of Collections

I have been a collector of various things throughout the years. I have collected bears (this was to date my biggest collection of items), David Winter Cottages, kitchen angels, German lichthauses, Lladros (a collection of three), Kaiser Porcelain, various pieces of Delft pottery from Holland, and most recently, Willow Tree angels. My collecting abilities started at an early age, and have continued as I have aged. However, my tastes have changed (thankfully).

I love each and every piece of all my collections, but the piece I love the most is loved not because of the piece itself, but my adventures in getting the piece. The piece of Kaiser Porcelain (shown) was bought on 1984 during a trip to the Kaiser factory in Staffel Stein, Germany. It was my first bus trip after moving to Mannheim, Germany, and it was on this trip I met our very dear friends John and Mary.

Being new in the area, and a mom of two little ones, I did not have the chance to get out much. This particular bus trip was made possible by my husband’s military unit, the 191st Battalion, as a “get to know one another” event. I was given a day of reprieve from being “mommy” by Jim and climbed aboard the bus in hopes of having not only having a day of rest, but having hopes of meeting new friends. I got that and more.

It was apparently evident that I was the new kid in town, and not more than 5 minutes after boarding that bus did I feel welcomed and a part of what would become a very large and caring family away my home in the states. Mary and John (John was one of the captains of the battalion) took me by the hand and shared their day with me. Mary knew I had two little ones and knew me to be a good mom (I always found it interesting how the wives knew more about things then their husbands), and she assured me I had to have this particular piece of kaiserware. So with her suggestion (more like strong advice), I bought it (and more that day) and brought it home.

Each time I pick up this piece to dust it, or around it, I am taken back to that day, and am reminded of two very dear friends that we remain in contact with today. Most of my pieces in each collection remind me of special people or special times, and that to me is so much more important than collecting things just to collect them.

1 comment:

Mindy said...

What a wonderful experience! It's amazing what an impact good friends can have on our lives! What a beautiful piece!