Saturday, April 12, 2008

My Yang and Yin

Several years ago, Caitlin (and I believe my sister Gidget, although my memory is fuzzy about her), dragged me into the world of Feng Shui. I cannot remember why the subject first came about, but at the time, I was not in a very good Feng Shui way. According to Caitlin’s sources, living any where near a prison, a hospital, a nursing home, cemeteries (and in an Amish community, they are just about on every property), and railroad tracks was not a good thing. We lived within a short distance of all five, which left us surrounded by a vast amount of negative energies (and when I say this is the last thing we needed at that time, I am not kidding).

Even the layout of the house was all wrong. Doors were misplaced allowing the “bad Chi” to enter without knocking. Window placement was off. Our home was not big which did not render me more than one way to place the furniture, which according to the book did not help matters (heaven help you if your chairs are not in the right place). We were in a Feng Shui crisis situation. It also seemed that our Yang and Yin were in a horrific state as well. And even after reading Caitlin’s books on Feng Shui, it seemed there was little I could do to turn the negatives into positives (except blow up the house and start all over, but because we were renting, this was not a viable option). So I surrendered to the bad, and promised myself the next house would be filled with more positive energies (I hoped, I prayed).

Since that time, we have bought our own home, and I (with Caitlin’s education) have made every attempt to ensure a more positive Chi environment. The balance between my Yang and Yin are important, so changes in my home have been ongoing to ensure the positives. For example, the bamboo plant placed in the south eastern most corner of my house promises us good fortune (who doesn’t want that). Our outdoor kitchen which allows us to barbecue was placed facing the east which has helped bring good grades and personal development to Caitlin (or any daughter, she just happens to have filled that spot). (Perhaps building the kitchen got her into vet school and not her hard work?) =) I have tried to arrange furniture in a more positive way, and many of the doors and windows are in a good position (which is good since I am not going to blow up a house I own).

Even my wind chimes are placed accordingly, which is why I am sharing my story. I bought some new wind chimes yesterday and before I placed them, I read my Feng Shui book to validate their position in the yard. I know some of you might not think it important, but I do want to fully enjoy the tinkling of the chimes, and not have to worry that they are pushing bad Chi in our direction. It's also important to place metal chimes in one area and bamboo ones in another. So with that in mind, the chimes are now hung, the tinkling is heard throughout the yard, and positive energy is flowing all around me. And my Yang and Yin are feeling pretty good, and that leaves me feeling good about things.

1 comment:

Stacy said...

You are funny...I like the way you write and how the thoughts from your mind effortlessly go right on the page...I can relate to you..busy mom, wife, work hard...glad that your husband is cancer free...and you as well..really liked your last post..reminds me of when we bought our current home..one hallway has 4 doors in it I guess bad F.S....oh well..don't live near a cemetary, or rail road tracks...just a desert..take care..