Monday, April 14, 2008

My Baking Cupboard

I realized this weekend, while looking for a particular spice, that while I am more confident in my baking and cooking skills, my organizational skills of baking and cooking supplies has dwindled. When I lacked self-confidence, my supplies were neat and organized. In fact, all my spices were alphabetized, making me appear more proficient (well except to those who really knew). Now, not so much (the organization).

I love baking, so my supplies are abundant. In fact, I have a whole cupboard devoted to baking supplies (which in itself might be startling to some). I have things that are not found in local markets that I brought back from countries I have visited. I have used them a few times, and now they sit, unused, or used only slightly. Some have even become outdated (how many times can you use Rosewater?). So I found myself in the much needed position to clean and purge this cupboard.

This task was not going to be that easy. I mean, would there be a way to salvage something that might be outdated for a few years? How bad could a spice taste that might be four years old? And could I really part with the 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon that remained in one of the four bottles of cinnamon I have in the cupboard? Did I really have to throw away the three remaining mini size cupcake wrappers? Couldn’t I find something to do with the five party skewers that remained in the damaged package? It wasn’t going to be easy, but it had to be done.

So after an hour of rearranging, and much deliberation in my head (I know, scary), my baking cupboard is clean and tidy and the old is gone. There’s much to be said about a clean, and well organized cupboard. Thankfully I have proven I can bake, so my organized cupboards will not depict a different story. And I have room for more stuff to accumulate!

Now my junk drawer is another story...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good Job! :)