Friday, May 23, 2008

And so Summer at the Jersey Shore Begins...

OY Vey! The summer season at the New Jersey shore is now officially open for business, which means the "bennies" have arrived! The traffic gets thicker and the area more congested with summer tourists. Oh sure they do bring in extra cash, but…

Despite the extra annoyances living at the shore during the summer bring, I wouldn’t like, nor can I imagine living anywhere else during the summer months. I like that I can drive a few minutes and get to the beach and the boardwalk. Okay, maybe not “minutes” during the summer, but I can get there faster than someone living near Trenton or North Jersey!

I like that I can go from the beach to the local grocery store all damp and sandy and no one notices me. I blend right in. Unlike the beanies who stand out on any given day. (see picture) Being a local, I know all the quiets spots yet undiscovered by the "bennies." So when I want time alone on the beach without the entire hubbub they bring, I head to my secret place and pray that it is never discovered. Or I avoid the whole traffic mess and stay at home on my deck, which has not yet been discovered by any group of tourists! Yet.

So the summer at the shore, which is not like the official start of the season of summer, has begun, but so has the count down until the "bennies" go home again, and the peace and quiet of the New Jersey shore can be seen and heard again, without the noise of traffic congestion.

From the Urban Dictionary (http://www.urbandictionary.com/) the definition of “bennies” is as follows:

“The stupid tourists from up north, they increase traffic, pollute the beach (they say it is the locals fault), and all round cause havoc.”

No comments: