Monday, May 12, 2008

Dear Mom and Dad (and siblings)...

During the time period I lived in Germany, I sent many letters home to my family (and friends, of course). My letters were filled with so many things; most, simple tales of what we were doing at the time. The letters detailed what we did over the span of our five years in living, working, and traveling overseas.

Many of the envelopes sent home were also filled with small pieces of artwork done by Caitlin and Daniel for my parents and siblings. At the time, what I thought were simple letters home, now have become important keepsakes. I had no idea at the time, my parents was saving each letter. Each letter, each piece of artwork served as a link to me, Jim, and their two grandchildren.

When I returned home from Germany, my mom handed me the large box in which each letter was placed after she had read them over and over again. I placed each letter and much of the artwork in large binders, according to the date sent home (would I do it any differently, being the overly organized person I am?). Periodically, I read through the binders and relive not only what we were doing at the time, but my journaling (I was blogging before blogging was hip) of how I was dealing with being so far from home. My simple correspondence home has become a rich account of so many emotions I dealt with away from my family.

My letters are also filled with my humorous accounts of working with the military and all the antics that went on in the army clinic where I work, learned, and made life long friendships. They are filled with colorful descriptions of all the places we visited throughout Europe (Frommers has nothing on me). As my memory fades of that time period, I know that I have my letters to go through, taking me back to an incredible life experience, and I have my mom to thank for saving those valuable letters.

No comments: