Sunday, May 11, 2008

Happy Mother's Day!

It is with today’s blog that I honor my mom who has, over time, been at the very heart and soul of our family. There are so many words that describe my mom; courage, strength, patience, selfless, faith, love...the list is endless (and, yes, even annoying at times).

She grew up in small family, which included one younger brother, her dad (a mason) and her mom (predominately an executive secretary). She had the typical childhood, growing up during the depression, and working her summers at the shore as a lifeguard. She graduated high school and became a beautician. During this time period, she met my dad, married and eventually began her family (a total of five children). To say her life was easy would be wrong. She worked hard raising the five of us, and battled most of her married life with a man who never really fully appreciated her worth. Thus her strength, patience, faith, and the ability to laugh when times get tough. To say she came through the tough times like a war time hero would be right. Her kids are her strength. And I am quite sure we taught her patience too.

My mom is now 72 and she lives a quiet life with one of my brothers. She loves being “out on the farm” and loves her church and church family. She is a very devout Christian and appreciates what she has, and when possible shares what little she does have with others who need it more than she does. I am proud of my mom. I try to honor her each and every day I live my life by being the person she raised me to be. This, I believe, is the best possible way any of us could honor our mothers.

"The future destiny of the child is always the work of the mother." – Napoleon Bonaparte

"All that I am or hope to be, I owe to my angel mother." – Abraham Lincoln

No comments: