Friday, May 02, 2008

Toxin Free Coffee

Who doesn’t enjoy the smell, the sight, the taste, and even the feeling of the heat as your fingers curl around that first morning cup, mug, or even a paper cup of fresh, hot coffee? I know I not only love it, and crave it, but I am addicted to it. Sweet and light!!

I have been a coffee drinker for as long as I can remember. I got really ‘hooked’ on it when I used to work nights. That huge paper cup of coffee courtesy of 7-11 started my shift (something had to jolt me back to life). That first sip was and is like a jolt of electric current used to jump start a battery (in my case, an old battery). The thing is though, until recently, I liked my coffee somewhat sweet and light. I used Sweet and Low© for years and then discovered Splenda© and life was sweeter and less sugary, but I had no idea that I was ingesting something not too safe. (Ok, I will admit that for quite some time Caitlin has warned me about ingesting “toxic chemicals.” But I did not listen to her.)

So, as of this week, I am off that nasty “toxin” and will now only use the real stuff, but in very limited amounts. Initially it was hard to lose the sweet in my coffee, but after a few days of weaning off of it, I can now just add a wee bit of cream and my morning java is perfect. And it should be. After all, it is about the coffee and not the additives (the good ones, and not the bad ones).

No comments: