Wednesday, May 28, 2008

National Cancer Survivors Day

On June 1, 2008, over 12 million American cancer survivors, and those who have supported them, will be honored, when our country takes the day to celebrate National Cancer Survivors Day. Here at home, we will celebrate Jim’s getting through his diagnosis and subsequent treatment of thyroid cancer. He is a survivor. And we are thankful to those who helped him get through those times, whether it was through prayer, treatments, or simply kind words of encouragement.

I have written periodically in my blog how much I ‘hate’ cancer. My life has been touched throughout the years by many who have been diagnosed with cancer; both survivors and those who have eventually succumbed to it. Family, friends, and patients.

In the early years of my nursing career, I spent time working on an oncology unit where I met many wonderful patients, many who I still remember today. As a young nurse, this was not an easy floor to work on, and not merely because of the workload, but as a young nurse you have the drive and motivation to ensure all your patients lived. But sadly, many did not and that was a hard reality lesson for me. Many of those patients taught me things about myself that I have taken with me throughout my life, both personally and professionally.

It’s been written that “conventional medicine identifies survivors as those who are in long-term recovery when, in fact, from the moment of diagnosis, everyone touched by cancer is in survival mode. This is true not only of patients, but also their caregivers, family members, and loved ones.” I agree completely.

I have long been a supported of two cancer organizations; the American Cancer Society and the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society (specifically the NJ Chapter). I do what I can, when I can, so that when and if my family and friends are diagnosed, I know I have already helped to make a difference. And when and if I might be diagnosed, I know I have already begun the fight. Help make a difference. Help celebrate those who have survived or those who are just starting the survival of their life.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i was touched by this post. cancer has hurt my family in so many ways. my mom lost her sister and father to cancer, which left my grandma alone. my grandpa ( dad's side) died of colon cancer and my grandma (dad's side) recently died of alzhtiemers. cancer doesn't only effect the person but it affects loved ones around so much. my mom watched her sister go through every phase that cancer has. but my grandma had to watch her husband and daughter die.. in a matter of a few years. i thank my lucky stars to be alive and healthy. im so sorry ur family had to be even put in that situation.. im very glad jim is with us today. he was able to burst through that wall.he is very lucky.

Wendy said...

Cancer does suck. It robs everyone, patients, families, friends, doctors, and nurses...I am glad Jim was able to get through this 'bump in the road' too. I am glad you were touched this post. Thank you for your kind words.