Friday, May 09, 2008

A Calendar Girl

Besides having all the usual jobs I have listed on this blog, I also serve as the traffic cop here at home. I am in charge of ensuring (for the most part) where people need to be, and when and where on a daily basis (not jobs, thankfully they know that). I do this with the aide of a very active calendar and a very somewhat organized mind (yes even at my age). The key to being organized (at least for me) is my calendar. Without it, I’m lost. Without, there would be many appointments forgotten. (And I am not the only one)

I started years ago using a simple wall calendar, but after time, those little boxes never seemed big enough. It’s hard to cram four people’s whereabouts into tiny blocks. Then I graduated to carrying around a calendar book, and that worked well, but after a while I found that I would forget my book, and this is not so good when the orthodontist wants to book your kids life six months ahead. So, then I added a smaller purse size calendar book, and would carry that back and forth, adding and deleting to the larger book at home (You begin to see a potential problem here, don’t you) This went on for some time.

After a few years, I then graduated to a huge desk calendar (the kind my first grade teacher used with the very BIG blocks) and found while I could be very organized, it did take up a lot of counter space in the kitchen. BUT I do admit of all the calendars I have ever used, this was the best method. I also continued with the purse calendar just to be sure I had everything recorded.

Then (thanks to my sister Gidget) I discovered the Outlook calendar which nicely records each entry and then subsequently spits out a copy for my wall, and purse at the touch of a button. THIS was the ticket. It worked for about a week, and then I found I had to have something with bigger blocks. So as of today I have not one, not two, but three working calendars in progress. One in Outlook (on the PC), one in my purse, and lastly one on the counter in the kitchen (just in case someone calls me and I cannot reach my purse or my laptop). I’m covered. I’m organized. I’m me.

1 comment:

Mindy said...

So funny, Wendy! I have to have my life on my calendar too. Whenever someone comes to visit and looks at it, they can't believe how much stuff I have crammed on there. Maybe I need to try the big square calendar... although I have no idea where I'd put it!