Saturday, June 14, 2008

Happy Father's Day Daddy!

Those who have read my blog are aware that I lost my dad years ago. With Father’s Day tomorrow, my thoughts are, of course, of my dad.

There are days that we celebrate simply because it helps the card and flower businesses thrive, and Father’s Day is no exception. I have long been a proponent that we should celebrate these days every day, and not simply one day a year. (Being a mom, it is my belief that every day is Mother’s Day). Life is short and we just never know when we won’t be around or those we love won’t be here to celebrate these special days.

I miss my dad. While I know these words are simple to express, they are heartfelt, and I know I speak for my siblings as well. I think we would all love one more hug, see one more of his smiles, and even hear one more of his grouchy outbursts. I’d even love to taste one more dish of his spaghetti. (His sauce was outstanding).

I miss my dad for so many reasons. I often think of him and say to myself, “he would like that show... he might like this dish I made... he would love to have seen his grandchildren do this or that...and he would love to sit on my deck and enjoy life”. My dad lived a hard live as a kid. In fact, he was an abused kid and how he survived still makes me wonder today, but he did. He served in our Navy, married, and worked as a policeman, a postman, a florist, a butcher (deli), and various other odd jobs, to keep busy and to keep five kids fed and clothed. To some he might not have been the “model” father, and it has only been in my adult life that I have come to understand the man he had grown to become. He did his best. He loved us all in his own way, and being able to love did not come easy to him. I know that now, as do my siblings.

So this Father’s Day, like many to come, I will celebrate my dad through my own memories of him. I loved my dad and I miss him terribly.

1 comment:

Mindy said...

Your dad sounds like a good man. I'm glad you have so many good memories to think back on, and I'm sorry he can't be with you this Father's Day.