Wednesday, June 04, 2008

The Nursing Shortage: My Concerns, Your Concerns

I do not usually write much about my job as a nurse, but in light that it is an election year and our country is facing a severe nursing shortage, you will have to bear with me for the next few paragraphs. I feel I have to voice my concerns, not only as a nurse, but as a person who is aging and a person who one day might need a nurse in her very old age at her hospital bedside. (Side note: I expect to be a crabby patient).

First of all some unsettling and even frightening statistics: (at least they are for me)

Recent nursing stats from the U.S Dept. of Labor:
* Nationwide working nurses : 2.5 million
* Average age of nurses : 47 years
* Expected nursing shortage nationwide by 2020 : 36%
*116,000 Number of nurses needed immediately at community hospitals and clinics nationwide.
*23% Anticipated job growth in the nursing field over the next decade, making registered nursing the fastest-growing career in the nation.

Most of my peers within my own nursing department are in their 50’s. Most are anticipating retirement within a few years. Some will hang until they are in their 60’s, like me, although I do not see myself at the bedside. Many of them do not either.

There seem to be no solutions coming from Obama, Clinton, or McCain, let alone any politician. In fact, McCain at a primary rally at a NJ hospital openly admitted he had no idea a nursing shortage even existed in our country!! The one politician who has spoken out about health care, Ted Kennedy, is on the receiving end of health care now after being diagnosed with a brain tumor. Perhaps he might help even further upon getting out of the hospital, although he might just be too busy going through cancer treatment. I hope there is not a nursing shortage that day.

One of the problems that does is exist is that we have an over abundance of people wanting to go into nursing, but a very limited amount of nursing programs and nurses willing to teach those students enrolled in programs. Why? Salaries. It all comes back to the dollar. Universities are not willing to pay enough, especially to those who do not have their doctorate to teach. I’m working on my Masters in Nursing Education with the hopes to teach, but sadly my pitiful MSN will not allow me to teach nurses at institutions that offer higher levels of education to nurses. And I have very little desire at this time to pursue my doctorate. It stinks. It makes no sense. (My being allowed to teach, not my wanting to get my doctorate). So I can offer myself to lower educational programs, and will. (For a decent wage, that is).

Until things change and we get our politicians on board, little money is being put back in nursing to ensure its future. So here’s what I am asking you to do. Write your politicians and make sure they are aware there is a nursing shortage and get them on board with helping to put funds back into schools that will “pump out nurses.” One day you are going to wish you had a very well educated and not so tired nurse at your bedside. Trust me.

Sorry for the length of the blog. It could have been even longer! This is an issue that is very dear to me. The video helps to explain the issue....


No comments: