Wednesday, March 05, 2008

My Cookie Obsession

I have an obsession with cookies. Not eating them, although I do love a good cookie, but in finding good cookie recipes. Bars, dropped, refrigerator, rolled, or molded, it makes no difference. The definition of obsession means a “compulsive preoccupation” with an idea. Thankfully my obsession in baking them does take breaks, just not long ones. However, my search for the best cookie is ongoing, whether it be a web-based search, or in any book store where recipe books might be found. If it is out there, I will find it! The word “preoccupation” is a bit dramatic.

I got to thinking about my fascination with cookies this morning while dusting my book shelves. I have collected 13 “Cookie” cookbooks and 25 magazines devoted to cookie recipes. If I throw in all the handmade recipe cards I have personally collected, and pages I have ripped out of magazines (mostly in doctors offices when the receptionist wasn’t looking), I might have roughly a million recipes for all kinds of cookies. (OK, not a million, but close).

And is doesn’t stop there. I recently found out that Martha Stewart is coming out with a whole cookbook devoted to cookies! I have to admit that while I AM NOT A FAN of hers, I am chomping at the bit to get my hands on that book. I mean there has to be a few cookie recipes in there that I might not have yet. Right? Maybe it is an obsession?

I am always on the hunt for all kinds of cookies although my favorite recipes are biscotti recipes. I love that bite of crunchy goodness, usually filled with loads of goodies. I have one recipe for Gingerbread Biscotti that is my favorite. Again I find myself wanting to share a recipe.

Prep and Cook Time: about 1 hour. Notes: To toast the almonds, place in a baking pan and bake in a 350° oven, shaking pan often, until golden, about 15 minutes. You can store the cookies airtight for up to 3 days. (If they last that long)

Ingredients
1/2 cup (1/4 lb.) butter, at room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup dark molasses
1/4 cup minced fresh ginger
3 large eggs
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1 cup coarsely chopped toasted blanched almonds (see notes)

1. In a bowl, with an electric mixer on medium speed, beat butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in molasses, ginger, and eggs until well blended, scraping down sides of bowl as needed.
2. In another bowl, mix flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and cloves. Stir or beat into butter mixture until well blended. Stir in almonds.
3. Spoon 1 cup dough in dollops down the length of a buttered or cooking parchment-lined 12- by 15-inch baking sheet, 1 inch from edge. Spoon another 1 cup dough down the length of the other side of the sheet. With floured fingers, pat each strip of dough into a flat 13-inch loaf, about 1/2 inch thick and 2 inches wide. Repeat with remaining dough (dough can stand while first loaves bake).
4. Bake loaves in a 350° oven until golden, 15 to 20 minutes; if baking more than one pan at a time, switch pan positions halfway through baking.
5. With a sharp knife, cut loaves crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Separate slices slightly and tip each onto a cut side.
6. Return to oven and bake until cookies are slightly darker and firm and dry to the touch, 15 to 20 minutes longer. Gently slide biscotti onto racks to cool completely. Enjoy!

Yield: Makes about 95 cookies

Nutritional Information
CALORIES 46(39% from fat); FAT 2g (sat 0.7g); PROTEIN 0.9g; CHOLESTEROL 9.4mg; SODIUM 21mg; FIBER 0.3g; CARBOHYDRATE 6.1g


SOURCE: Cooking Light

No comments: