Saturday, March 01, 2008

Poop Entrepreneurs

While I was picking up the dog poop in the yard today (a job I loathe), I got to wondering about those companies that come to your home to clean up after the dog. Who are these people? Who was the first to establish such a business? What provoked them to even consider it? Is it really that lucrative? I headed to Google to find the answers. (Only Google would have 2,040,000 results regarding dog poop).

Our society's obsession for our pets has created a very profitable sector in pet services. When you combine this with our aversion to what our furry friends leave behind, and you have a great business opportunity in pet waste disposal. Who knew?

The statistics on this sector are staggering. Over the last decade, total U.S. pet industry expenditures have nearly doubled, from $21 billion in 1996 to $38.5 billion in 2006. According to a 2007-2008 study, “63% of American homes have pets which translates into more than 71 million households!” Of these, nearly 45 million households have dogs. Truly the numbers are staggering! (We are contributing very well to the numbers)

With today's busy lifestyles, many people don't want to spend time scooping and disposing of their dogs' poop. I mean really... those ten extra minutes can be better spent elsewhere! We all want clean and healthy yards and we certainly don’t want an unsightly yard full of doggy poop. (What would the neighbors say?) So, as a result, dog waste removal is growing as a common and viable business service. And I mean viable!

The names of the various businesses are quite amusing, as well as thought provoking. The list is certainly not complete, but here are few examples:

Pet Butler...DoodyCalls...Dog Gone Poop...Pooper Scoopers...Miss Poop...K9 Pollution Solutions...Whoopsy Daisy...Lawn Doodles...The Poo Man...Scoop D’Poo...Yard Guards...and Scooper Dude whose motto is “"Business Stinks ... but It's Picking Up.”

The owners of some of these companies have made millions of dollars in doing what I do every day for about ten minutes; although pound for pound, I am sure they are dealing with a whole lot more! That aside, I still find it amazing and had to share.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! You're right. I did a google search and found so many companies picking up dog poop. The names crack me up dog gone doo-doo, stinkies, scoop doggy dog. Seems like there is money in the poop businesss, but i don't know if i could do it. I guess that's why THEY do it! ;)

Anonymous said...

Now you've done it! Made me sit here and think up names for a pet yard clean up service.

I could use Betty Boop as my logo and title my company "Poop poopy Doo"

For morning pick up "Doo Drop Inn"

Ruh roh- this one really is going to the dogs... "Scoopy Doo"

Large or small we take it all "In a Manure of speaking"

In honor of your household "Golden Retreivers"

We can make your lawn look Shar Pei!


Enough! I love the new entries. Your blog just brightens my day. Keep it coming.

Michele

Wendy said...

elliott, Google does an excellent job in siting doggy doo sources, above and beyond the mere pick-up of it!

Michele, You crack me up! =)