Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Out With The Tide...

Like most people these days, the rising cost of foods and grocery store items have left me wondering, where does it all end? And with the rise in oil, will it end? There are many items I put in my shopping cart that I never pay attention to the price. These include the items that no matter the cost, I still have to buy them; typically personal items or staples we use every day. (I will not give up my Olay products, some items are sacred)

I am also a coupon user and try to match the coupon with the sale item, thus adding to the savings. I also buy some items in bulk, but only IF the savings are really apparent. Recently while shopping, Jim asked if we could try a new (and very cheap) clothes detergent. Give up the Tide? I wasn’t so sure. I almost panicked right in aisle 12. I have been a Tide user for years. (More than I’d like to admit). Alright, I would be willing to try it, but if it does not prove to be a good detergent (I was thinking Daniel’s work clothes which reek of cooking grease), then I will go right back to MY Tide, no matter how much it costs. Jim agreed. (Meanwhile, before my results were conclusive, he brought home two more jugs because it was on sale). Humph.

Much to my surprise, and I believe having a good washer helps, the cheaper product worked, and worked well. It seems there are better products out there as good as MY Tide. Who knew? Now my only regret is all the dollars I could have saved over time. Now I am on my way to investigating cheaper products of those items I have been loyal to over many years.

No comments: