Monday, March 17, 2008

What’s St. Patrick’s Day without corned beef and cabbage, a baked potato on the side, and some fresh home made Irish soda bread? Well? Exactly.

My corned beef will be made different this year. I normally throw it in the crock pot, covered with seasoning and water, and let it brew all day. I’ll do the same this year, but my stock will be comprised of a stout ale and brown sugar. I’m looking forward to what some have said is an “awesome” way to cook it. We’ll see. My mom and sister will be here to add their comments.

I know that many prefer the boiled potato, but I like a baked potato with my meal. And then there are those who skip the cabbage and potato and simply make a Rueben with their portion of beef. So I will have the sauerkraut, rye bread, Swiss cheese, and Thousand Island dressing available. My bases are covered.

My addition of Irish soda bread is not something I have always done, but several years ago I was given this recipe and it has always been a big hit. So without any hesitation, I will share this recipe with you all. Happy St. Patty’s day to you all!


Irish Soda Bread
3 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbs caraway seeds (optional)
1 1/4 cup raisins
1 pint sour cream
Mix the first 7 ingredients, then add sour cream Mold into two round loaves. Brush with egg yolk. Bake 350 degrees for 50 minutes.

"May the road rise to meet you,
May the wind be always at your back,
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
The rains fall soft upon your fields,
And until we meet again,
May God hold you
In the palm of his hand."

No comments: