Saturday, March 22, 2008

Spring Ball!

It’s that time of year again! While many are digging out their ball, mitts, and bats, or seeking the best possible professional baseball tickets, I am getting ready for my niece Jilly’s softball season. I have shared my thoughts regarding her softball expertise before, but she is older and a much stronger player, and now loves to pitch! (And she is damn good at it too).

As I write this blog entry, it has yet to be decided of she will play for the Junior Varsity or varsity team. She has started the scrimmage games where the coach’s observe, ponder, and then decide upon their teams. If Jill has her way, she would play JV and get as much ball time as possible. Jill also likes the JV coach a whole lot better, as do most people who come into contact with the Varsity coach. (Some people are not coach material, and should really accept it).

Jill plays left field and she pitches. I love to watch her pitch. She has this incredibly fast, smooth, and accurate pitch just about every time. (And this is not just her aunt talking). As for her hitting...I have no idea about her statistics, but I do know that when she hits the ball, she does with so much power that it usually gets her home again rather quickly or several of her teammates! BIG swing, big hit!

Of course, spring is not without baseball games and my nephew Joshua will ensure I get to watch him as well. He’s also a good player and one I love to watch. I think, but not being 100% sure, he plays on a travel team. So his games will be more compact and hopefully done on my weekends off. In any event, I look forward to watching him play. His smiles light up the field. As do Jill’s. I love these two dearly and love watching them play ball.

No comments: