Friday, March 14, 2008

The Power of Prayer and Friendships

Raised predominately in a Methodist church, I cannot profess to understand the prayers devoted to the Rosary. However, raised in a Christian environment, I do understand and value the power of prayer. As a nurse, I know that medicine and prayer have proved to be loyal friends. When you include prayer in your daily life, you may become more open to life, more flexible, more centered. Many people have found it easier to resolve their problems and cope with stressful situations (medical emergencies, health concerns). I know I have.

At her insistence, a dear friend of mine has lent me her Rosary beads, blessed by Pope John Paul II, on two occasions. She felt I needed the power of the rosary to be with me. The Rosary denotes both a set of prayer beads used in the devotion and the devotional prayer itself, which combines vocal (or silent) prayer and meditation centered around sequences of reciting the Lord's Prayer followed by ten recitations of the "Hail Mary" prayer and a single recitation of "Glory Be to the Father"; each of these sequences is known as a decade. What she now knows is that her friendship is more valuable to me.

There are several reasons we pray, and I will not go into this in my blog, as it is my belief that prayer, while common among many of us, is a very private and personal thing. We all pray in a variety of ways, for a variety of reasons. I do know that prayer is just as important as faith. So with or without the Rosary, I know that my faith in God, as well as a good friend standing by me, will help see me through difficult times, no matter what they may be. I appreciate my friend and her kindness. The power of prayer, it seems to me, is as important as the power of a good friendship.

Prayer indeed is good, but while calling on the gods a man should himself lend a hand.
~ Hippocrates

No comments: