Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Decorating the Graves for the Holidays

Today Gidget and I did the annual decorating the graves for the holidays. It is a task that I always enjoy doing, and while my sisters think I am a royal pain in the BUTT about it (Everything has to be just right), I do not let them squash my desire to ensure everything is “just right”. They happen to think I overdo, however I disagree.

The thing is I happen to like knowing that the graves are seasonal, so this time of year a pretty wreath is placed at each grave (My dad’s, my aunt and uncles, my grandparents, and my great-grandmother). I also add seasonal flowers to both my dad’s, and my aunt and uncle’s gravesite. My mom does not like grave blankets and instructed me that her parents did not like them either, so all four graves get just a simple green wreath with a simple bow and few adornments.


I can remember as a kid watching my dad make grave blankets and wreaths (he worked part time at the local florist to help make ends meet a little better). He did so with great care and each one was special. He love working there and each arrangement was worked on with precision and tastefully done. I would like to think I am honoring that part of my dad by ensuring that his grave is done just right. I really do not care how much my sisters dislike my OCD graveside behavior.

Not everyone understands my obsession to ensure the graves are decorated for the holidays. It doesn't matter. I get it. I know my dad gets it. And that's all that matters, to me.

No comments: