Friday, December 12, 2008

Poorer Christmas Times

Okay, I know you are sitting there looking at the photo and thinking, "It appears to be a pine branch, perhaps belonging to a Christmas tree? There are gifts, so it must be, so what the heck is that on the branch?"

That my friends is a candle. Seriously, the red is the candle, and the yellow, it's flame. It was 1980 and we were poor folk living in our home in Fayetteville, PA. I was crafty, so i thought, I'll make the ornaments!

Off I went to the local material store, where I bought Christmas patterned material. I brought it home and with my scissors in hand, I got started on a huge collection of stuffed material ornaments. Quite honestly, although not the highest quality ornaments, they were the prettiest, and the tree was full and done tastefully (well as tastefully as one can do with material ornaments).

Over the years, these ornaments have been lost, eaten (dogs), and lost through moves. I have a few left, and each year they go on the tree to remind us where we were at one time, how far we have come, and quite honestly how blessed we are these days.

Times were simpler. Sometimes I yearn for those simple Christmases again. The extra glitter and tinsel really does not add to making a holiday more meaningful. I love that little candle reminder.

No comments: